cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Mail goes to Outlook Email quickly

emiller001
Level 1
Level 1

Why does a user's phone messages (unity messing 4.2) goes to Outlook when outlook does a send/receive to 2003 exchange server

13 Replies 13

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If this is a unified messaging environment, this is supposed to happen. Honestly, I am not sure what your question is without further clarification/explanation of your question, what your voice messaging environment is, etc. Could you give me a little more info so I can help you better?

Thanks!

Tray

Tray,

I have a few user's who claim they do not get notified by phone or message light, when they have a message. They do, however, see their messages in their Outlook Inbox.

Hope this explains a little more.

Their outlook client is configured to download messages to the local PAB. When they do this, the messages are removed from Exchange and are now stored locally.

They must configure their Outlook client to leave the messages in Exchange.

Regards,
Steve
Please rate all helpful posts.

Thanks for your quick reply:

Do you mean .pst (personal folder file)? 2 of the user's messages remain on the exchange server. They are not downloaded to a personal folder file.

Any other thoughts?

yes, i meant .pst

as mentioned. the messages must remain in the inbox.

also, if the message is marked read in Exchange, the MWI will turn off as well.

Regards,
Steve

Hi -

Another reason this can happen - user's Outlook has customized rule to move voice messages to a special folder in Outlook. The AvNotifer service that synchs message waiting needs to have the voice message in the Inbox folder, not another folder, to set message waiting lamp instruction. And one other thing that came to mind, check to see if these users are using Outlook in cached mode. Should not be ...

Ginger

Thank you for your reply;

These user have no rules set to move mail as it arrives, but one thought, they all have some type of a PDA device. Could this be a potential problem?

could be. does the device mark the message as read?

Regards,
Steve

I don't know. Do you know anything about Blackberrys? I know when the messages come into Outlook, they also go to the Blackberry.

But this User did say he working fine until a week ago.....

blackberrys usually will mark a message as read in Exchange if they are "read" or simply highlighted long enough.

as far as what started happening a week ago.....

was there an upgrade to your BES server recently?

Regards,
Steve

I'm assuming you mean our Unity Server or Call Manager? No updates lately.

no, i mean BES.

BES=Blackberry Enterprise Server

Regards,
Steve

I'll check. Could that cause possible problems?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: