cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about the new 4510R-E with SUP6-E

jecker
Level 1
Level 1

I have two new 4510R-E chasis each with one Supervisor 6e in them. I also have 4 10gig uplinks and 2 of the new infiniband cables providing 2 uplinks between the two.

I'm having trouble finding a lot of information on this new hardware and was wondering if any had an idea's.

I heard that with these infiniband cables the chasis appears as one switch (like a stack of 3750) but I can't find any documenation supporting this. Is this true? If so, how do I configure this becasue it does not do it by default like the 3750's.

If they do not show up as one switch, what is the best way to configure the uplinks? Etherchannel or use spanning-tree to block one of the ports.

Thanks for the help, and if there is a godo document explaining this stuff, that would be great too.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like you're describing the VSS feature on the latest 6500 sup720C's.

With regard to 4500 documentation, if you haven't already, you might start here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

yassine-m
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you give a map to understand what's your requirements.

Br

Yassine

The requirements are nothing crazy. They are just looking for redundancy between their 2 core switches and since these infiniband / sup6e are so new I don't know much about them.

I was basiclly just looking for information on configuring the 2 10 gig uplinks between the 2 4510R-E and if there is any configuration difference with these new infiniband cable.

Someone did tell me that these cables will allow the switch to appear as one just like a 3750, but I can't find anything supporting that or how to do it.

As far as I know, the infiniband cable just provides a very short distance 10 gig connecton. (I.e. the port just appears as 10 gig Ethernet to the system.)

Also as far as I know (exluding 3750 family), only the dual 6500s using the sup720c can appear as a single unit, the VSS feature from my earlier post.

Unless someone knows better . . .

Thanks for the help.

How would you recommend configuring the uplinks? Would you etherchannel them so I can get 20 gigs or just using spanning-tree to block one of the link.

Bandwidth is a terrible thing to waste.

(I would channel them. Check your channel hash default and options, if any.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: