cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TSP errors/Collisions/Ciscounity_tsp/event viewer

MMstre
Level 3
Level 3

I ran into a problem where unity generated hundreds of ciscounity_tsp (ID 128) information alerts in the event viewer. Specifically, the notifications were that MWI was running into collisions when trying to update MWI. Has anyone ever encountered this problem?

The specific error is...

Event Type: Information

Event Source: CiscoUnity_TSP

Event Category: None

Event ID: 128

Date: 3/11/2008

Time: 3:17:39 PM

User: N/A

Computer: ZCOMLUNITY

Description:

Cisco Unity-CM TSP device 17 (Cisco Unity port 13): An attempt to turn OFF the message waiting indicator (MWI) for extension 2264 failed because a collision occurred with an incoming call on the same port.

The MWI request will be retried. But to prevent collisions, we recommend that ports setting MWIs be isolated from ports handling incoming calls. If the MWI status remains unchanged for an extended period of time or if there are many of these warnings from Cisco Unity in a short period of time, there may be an MWI misconfiguration or another problem.

For more information, refer to the "Message Waiting Indicators" chapter in the Cisco Unity Troubleshooting Guide.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrclark
Level 1
Level 1

The usual fix for this is allow MWI only on a couple of ports and not allow calls on the MWI ports. ie:

Suppose there are ports 1-16

On Unity side, configure only ports 15,16 for MWI. Take these ports out of the hunt group for inbound/outbound calls.

I am not sure which version of Unity or if you are integrating with CallManager, but the following URL that tells how to plan the port usage.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/integration/guide/itcicm40.html#wp1348334

Hope this helps!

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

chrclark
Level 1
Level 1

The usual fix for this is allow MWI only on a couple of ports and not allow calls on the MWI ports. ie:

Suppose there are ports 1-16

On Unity side, configure only ports 15,16 for MWI. Take these ports out of the hunt group for inbound/outbound calls.

I am not sure which version of Unity or if you are integrating with CallManager, but the following URL that tells how to plan the port usage.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/integration/guide/itcicm40.html#wp1348334

Hope this helps!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I configured this as so. My guess is it is a matter of waiting to see if it happens again, I guess in theory it should not. You wouldn't happen to know what causes this do you? It has been running fine for about a year, and then this happens.

Mike

This is totally a guess, but I would speculate that some event happend to use a lot of the ports, possibly even all of them. ie: it happened at 8am, when a lot of people were checking/clearing voice mail at the same time a lot of people might have been leaving voice mails. Your usage patterns might be different, but you get the overall idea. You can use the port monitor to check port usage live.

It would seem that either all the MWIs synch'd or something happened, but this happened at 4:00pm, near the end of the day. It took unity down for about 30 minutes until i restarted it. I saw nothing in the event viewer. It has not happened since i designated ports, thanks for the suggestion, so the hope is that it canot happen again. thanks again for the advice.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: