Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow Data transfers but fast pings?

aeccles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a WLAN consisting of (2) 2106 controllers and (10) 1131AG APs. The controllers are in a Mobility group - same name, both can see each other, same virtual IP.

QoS is set to Silver (best effort).

I have a single SSID.

Currently only about 5 users.

APs are all associated and no errors any of the logs.

The issue is that I am getting very slow HTTP connections. Pings average 2ms across my entire network, but all other traffic is significantly slower.

I'm getting great signal strenght and very little RF interference.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know - if any more specific info regarding my config is nesc. please let me know as well.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah.. port 4 is down... dont know what I was looking at.

By the way, your wireless uers should be put on a different subnet than wired users. That might be your issue. Create a new dynamic interface on the WLC. You will also need to create a new vlan and L3 interface for that subnet and make sure that subnet is nat'd.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Aaron,

What other method of testing have you done?

How is http with the wired clients? You get slow http response times when associated to either wlc? Are you running QoS on your infrastructure?

-Scott

HTTP is great when wired.

Yes, slow responses from both WLCs. I've even gone so far as associating to each individual AP... same results on each.

There is no QoS on this segment of the network.

As for other testing... not too much. I've swapped cables, changed ports, etc. I've shut one of the WLCs down for a while and tested that way... again same results for each.

What confuses me most is that pings are so quick.

How do you have the 2016 connected to your infrastructure and how are they configured. What code are you running on the 2106?

-Scott

I have all of the APs and the "ap-manager" port of each controller plugged into a stand alone 24 port POE switch. I also have the "manager" port of each controller plugged into a switch on the LAN. The version on both controllers is: 4.2.61.0

Not sure what you were looking for when you asked how they are configured? Anything specific you would like to know?

I have attached the run-config logs for both controllers below.

Thanks for your help....

Your management and ap-manager should be on the same subnet. You should have them on port one and use port 4 for your dynamic interfaces.

Change the ap-manager to:

Since the LWAP's have joined the WLC already, you should not have any issues if the LWAP's is on a different L3 subnet.

AP's have static ip address or configured for DHCP?

-Scott

Very interesting point... thanks. I will dig into it a little further and give that a try.

When you say "use port 4 for your dynamic interfaces" are you saying to plug the APs (or the uplink to a switch with the APs) into it?

The AP's have static addresses.

Thanks again

In your configuration you have your dynamic interfaces on port 4 along with your ap-manager. Then you have your management set to port one. What you should do is set them all to port 1 and configure a 802.1q trunk on the switchport that port 1 will be attached to. Make sure you only allow the vlans that are tied to an interface on the WLC that you have configured. Also make sure the the management vlan is set to native vlan on the siwtch and on the management and ap-manager interface it is set to "0" untagged. If that works for you and you want to experiment around, then configure another trunk and allow only the vlans you created as dynamic interfaces on your wlc and connect port 4 (2 or 3) and change the port on the dynamic interface to use which ever port you decide.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for you help so far - greatly appreciated.

I have made the port assignment and subnet changes you suggested. The switches do not support 802.1 trunk so I could not configure that. As for VLANs on the WLCs, everything is set to default - haven't done anything advanced there.

So, after those changes and a reboot of the WLCs and APs, some progress has been made. HTTP, FPT, ICMP traffic is now passing at expected speeds however, DNS is not working.

A little background info... DHCP is being handled by a server on the network and the WLCs are setup to allow that to pass through. Wireless clients are getting address fine- very quickly - no issues that I can see. Of note though is that DHCP does not hand out DNS by design. So, for clients who require DNS, it is being manually configured on the TCP/IP properties of the wireless client. This is the same case for wired clients and they have no issues with DNS resolution.

I have also tried assigning public DNS servers to the wireless clients just to rule out an issue with the local DNS servers, but unfortunately that did't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for your assistance

What I would do is configure the clients to use the same DNS servers as do the wired users. Then after associating and obtaining an ip address, I would try to ping the DNS server. If you are able to ping then i would look to see if the user can resolve a DNS name. If you can't then there is an issue with DNS maybe being blocked or dropped along the way. If you can resolve the DNS name then maybe traffic out to the internet is getting blocked or dropped.

Another test I would do is setup DNS on the DHCP scope and see if that works...

I just tested if my client works if I set the DNS and it does... for public DNS try using 4.2.2.2 or 4.2.2.1

-Scott

Wireless and wired are using the same DNS servers but the wireless still cant resolve. I can ping the servers from the wireless by IP address. I have also tried the public servers you mentioned along with a few others but no luck.

I also tried creating some ACLs to makes sure nothing was being blocked but no luck there either.

Can you post the show run-config again so I can see the changes.

-Scott

Here are the configs for both of them, along with some show cpu/mem, etc.

101 is the actually 100. Can you post 101 again.

What I would do is remove port 4 from the switch since you are using only port 1. Also I would disable WMN which is located in the WLAN SSID section.

-Scott

doh - I left and wont have access to them again until monday morning - sorry about that.

OK - I will try disabling WMN.

What do you mean by "remote port 4 from the switch?" nothing connected there- if it showed as being it up it was probably my laptop plugged in for a minute.

thanks again for all your time and help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: