Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 booting from tftp instead of disk0:

helponline
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've ASA 5510 & upgraded new IOS through ROMM after that it was showing below outputs. Why it is showing ""tftp://10.0.0.20/asa722-k8.bin" file instead of disk:0...

Once I loaded new IOS I am not able give the ip address for the interface. There is no ip address command on the interfaces.

Following Steps are done

1) I tried to with 7.1 & 8.0 but no result. I checked in the Cisco document the are saying the following procedure but this one we have to give the ip address on interface which is connected to the tftp server.

hostname# copy tftp://server[/path]/filename {flash:/ | disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename

hostname(config)# boot system url

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/configuration/guide/mswlicfg.html#wp1054661

where url is one of the following:

-{flash:/ | disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename

The flash:/ keyword represents the internal Flash memory on the PIX 500 series security appliance. You can enter flash:/ or disk0:/ for the internal Flash memory on the ASA 5500 series adaptive security appliance. The disk1:/ keyword represents the external Flash memory on the ASA.

2) I changed the Flash & ram also but still I have the problem

Can anyone help me out this issue..

I've enclosed asa5510 file.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

brettmilborrow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you download the image file from the Cisco website you are given the MD5 checksum on the web page.

My suggestion is to check your image file on your tftp server against the MD5 from the website. This will confirm whether or not the file has been corrupted at any stage.

Once you know you have a good file, try copying the file again, then issuing the 'boot system flash' command.

Good Luck!

Thanks for ur mail, but here i didnt understand what you are telling here and wht to check.....

Could you clarify this.....

1) You need to download an md5 checker:

Try this free one:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/MD5-Check.shtml

2) Run this tool against your downloaded image. This will output a longish number.

3) Go to the Cisco ASA image software download page, and follow the route as though you are going to download the same image you have again, before you actually download the image you will be shown a table of information which will include the md5 checksum.

4) Check that the two numbers are the same. If they are, then your copy of the software is good, if not, they your copy is corrupted and you should re-download the image and test the MD5 again.

hi,

I did the same but no luck. I downloaded new IOS also the problem still persists. I've done following steps

1. I download new ios & checked with md5 for packet error

2. I changed the RAM & Flash

Can you suggest me what would be the issue on this case...

Thanks

Hi,

If you notice the show version output, you will find this line :

System image file is "tftp://10.0.0.20/asa722-k8.bin"

this line means that the ASA is loading its image from the TFTP server, you need to make the ASA to load its image from the flash, to do so, add the following command

boot system flash:/asa722-k8.bin

to ensure that your config is correct, issue the command

show version

you will see this line

System image file is "flash:/asa722-k8.bin"

hope it will solve the problem

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card