cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to find unused switchports

FRANK SCHADE
Level 1
Level 1

to find out which switchports re unused I had a look with "show int" to the counters where nearly all interfaces shows " Last input never..." which should indicate that there never bidirectional traffic had been seen on this port?

I found this on different plattforms and versions where are active clients connected...

So should this output better be ignored?

What shows me definitely that a port is unused?

4 Replies 4

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can find by giving the command 'sh ip int brief' it will give you full information about all switch ports.

Regards,

Naidu.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

i think u can use the below command

sh interfaces status |include notconnected/connected

Thanks

Mahmood

Show interface status will only show you if someone is not powered to the port at that particular time , doesn't tell you if someone was powered up yesterday on it or not . The only piece of gear that I have seen that will give you this info is the 4500 series switches where the command "show interface link" will show you when the port was last powered up . This command should be available on all cisco gear because it seems to be a requirement that a lot of people would like to see.

this is exactly what you need as admin to prevent adding switches any time you're running out of ports in wiring closet.

So we have to go for 4500 serie......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: