Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPv1 problem, bug oder misunderstanding

wizassonic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a very simple problem using RIPv1 which effectively amazed me.

I tried (just for demonstration purpose) a very simple setup using 4 routers connected in line (1721+2610). They all have RIPv1 enabled. There are only classful net. addresses (no subnets).

The routing table is ok, there's connectivity but ALL the metrics of all the routes are set to one(1). So it seems that ripv1 doesn't increment the metric.

I used #debug ip rip to monitor the updates.

How is that possible? Could it be a bug or there is something I didn't understand right?

Please help me understand this issue.

Many Thanks

P.S. c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-12.bin and c2600-i-mz.123-22.bin

3 Replies 3

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

could you please provide your IP addressing, better your config regarding RIP and relevant interfaces.

Regards, Martin

Thank you for your fast answer.

In the attachment there is a text file with my setup.

For every router I posted: #sh ip int brief, #sh ip protocols, #sh ip route and #debug ip rip for the router that should increment the metric.

Thank you again for you time

Hello

I also met this problem on routers 2800 1800 7200. and ios 12.4(18) 12.4T(15)

In my labbing I observe that there is something wrong with metric 1 and auto-sumarization.

In RIPv1 when I make redistribution with metric 1 on other routers the redistributed route has metric 1. When I change the metric to 2 or more on the remaining routers the metric is incresed.

When I change the rip to version 2 the metric everywhere is 1. But when I turn off auto-summary the metric (hop count) are set ok.

best regars

tomekf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card