cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP OID for NNTP (news)?

MJonkers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi does anyone know the OIDs for NNTP, I want to monitor NNTP sessions en bandwidth with MRTG.

Thx,

Marc

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no OIDs for NNTP. Really, you could have said TCP here, and the same would have been true. In order to monitor the actual NNTP traffic, you would need to have an RMON probe or something similar that analyzes the transit traffic, and allows you to break out the different protocols.

That said, there may be some NNTP SNMP instrumentation on your NNTP server that you could use to graph connections in MRTG.

View solution in original post

OID for NNTP (all stats). If you want per interface, you'll have to dig around a bit.

cnpdAllStatsProtocolName.13.46

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ftpdmib.html

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Marc,

You need to tell the router to look at traffic so it can see NNTP traffic. This is typically done via NBAR or Netflow. Do you have one of them configured?

Hi,

No not yet done that, it's a 6509. Which commands must I configure?

Onces I have NBAR running is it possible to track nntp with mrtg? I need a OID for that.

Thanx,

Marc

Once you have NBAR running you can graph the volume of data that is NNTP.

Configuring NBAR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/nbar_protocl_discvry.html

I'll track down the OID for NNTP via NBAR

OID for NNTP (all stats). If you want per interface, you'll have to dig around a bit.

cnpdAllStatsProtocolName.13.46

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ftpdmib.html

HTH

Strange when I try to activate nbar this message I receive (that is on a vlan, on a tengig the command is not available!):

BAR 'protocol-discovery' command cannot be turned on this interface because of the following reason: Interface is a LAN port and NBAR/STILE is not supported on LAN Interfaces in PFC3.

All I could find on that (I get it too) is the following:

The Cisco 6500 SUP720 doesn't support "ip nbar discovery-protocols".

The reason given by Cisco is that Nbar requires all the packets to be

software switched. This will cause hi cpu load in in some cases has

been known to crash the 6500.

Is there an edge router you could run it on?

Hi,

This is the edge router. We have 10 Gig to the internet.

Thx,

Marc

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are no OIDs for NNTP. Really, you could have said TCP here, and the same would have been true. In order to monitor the actual NNTP traffic, you would need to have an RMON probe or something similar that analyzes the transit traffic, and allows you to break out the different protocols.

That said, there may be some NNTP SNMP instrumentation on your NNTP server that you could use to graph connections in MRTG.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: