cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM cannot connect ot ANI server

maracambus
Level 1
Level 1

I am running LMS 2.6 with CM 4.0.10 and I am having problems connecting to ANI server. Every time I click on topology service Java complains that there is no connection to ANIServer5.0.3. ANI service is running, and I restarted server itself couple times with no effect.

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There may be a problem with the ANI database. Shutdown dmgtd, then run:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

Then restart dmgtd. After the daemons fully initialize, check the ani.log for the OutOfMemoryError. Hopefully this error will be gone. If so, try launching Topology Services again.

View solution in original post

All you need to do is run a new Campus Manager Data Collection followed by a User Tracking acquisition. Both can be started from the Campus Manager Homepage under Campus Manager > Home.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sometimes this can just be a timing issue. It can take up to 30 minutes after dmgtd has been started for the daemons to initialize and settle. If you've given ANIServer sufficient time to come up, check the network between the client and server. Unlike the rest of LMS, Campus Manager relies on CORBA for client/server communication. Therefore, TCP ports 1683, 1684, and 8088 must be open between your client and server. If not, you will get a connection failure on your client. You should also disable any proxy in your Java Plug-in control panel on your client.

Thank you for you reply!

I tried to run it from server itself, but got the same error message. There is no firewall between client and server. I also waited for more than 30 min. I will check proxy setting in Java as soon as I can get to server.

If it doesn't work from the server, and you've disabled proxying, post the contents of the Java Plug-in console and the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log.

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_05

Using JRE version 1.6.0_05 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.SBA

exception com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule.ServiceDenied {}

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule.ServiceDeniedHelper.read(ServiceDeniedHelper.java:28)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule._AniServiceLoginStub.Login(_AniServiceLoginStub.java:79)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.attachToService(AniClient.java:463)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.connect(AniClient.java:327)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.initialize(AniClient.java:140)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.(AniClient.java:120)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.createAniClient(CampusApplet.java:576)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.getAniClient(CampusApplet.java:568)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.campus.main.CampusMain.performAniLogin(CampusMain.java:261)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.campus.main.CampusMain.initializeApplication(CampusMain.java:58)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.init(CampusApplet.java:107)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Unknown Error...Unknown Error...

exception com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule.ServiceDenied {}

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule.ServiceDeniedHelper.read(ServiceDeniedHelper.java:28)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.idl.AniBaseModule._AniServiceLoginStub.Login(_AniServiceLoginStub.java:79)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.attachToService(AniClient.java:463)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.connect(AniClient.java:327)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.initialize(AniClient.java:140)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.share.aniclient.AniClient.(AniClient.java:120)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.createAniClient(CampusApplet.java:576)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.getAniClient(CampusApplet.java:568)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.campus.main.CampusMain.cleanup(CampusMain.java:119)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.exit(CampusApplet.java:201)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.clients.lib.ui.windows.CampusApplet.init(CampusApplet.java:125)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

First things first. You're using an unsupported Java Plug-in. You need to drop down to 1.4.2_15. Then, post the ani.log.

Here are the logs of Java Console and ani.log

I see two problems here. One appears to be a cache problem on the client side. Clear out your Java Plug-in cache from the Java Plug-in control panel.

The other problem is a memory issue on the server side. How much memory does this server have? How much swap space? How many devices are being managed by Campus Manager?

Cache cleaned. Still same issue.

Server has 3GB RAM, swap is set to 2GB, LMS manages 19 devices.

ANIServer process is running with busy flag set, even if I restart it.

There may be a problem with the ANI database. Shutdown dmgtd, then run:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\dbRestoreOrig.pl dsn=ani dmprefix=ANI

Then restart dmgtd. After the daemons fully initialize, check the ani.log for the OutOfMemoryError. Hopefully this error will be gone. If so, try launching Topology Services again.

What is inside that DB? Is it safe to erase?

The ANI database stores the topology data as well as the User Tracking information. All of this information can be re-acquired after a Campus Data Collection and User Tracking major acquisition.

Here is what I got now

I= 0value *.*.*.*

I= 1value 6

I= 2value 2

2008/03/18 16:45:24 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection [hashCode = 2191491]

2008/03/18 16:46:55 DBConnecton-Reaper ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [hashCode = 2191491]

2008/03/18 16:46:58 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection [hashCode = 4159766]

2008/03/18 16:47:35 main ani MESSAGE AniEventMgr: Event Manager has been enabled

In classlist loader

In classlist loader processing sub classes

updation done

In classlist loader completed

2008/03/18 16:47:38 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection [hashCode = 5039595]

2008/03/18 16:47:39 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection [hashCode = 1777024]

2008/03/18 16:47:42 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [hashCode = 1777024]

log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (CTM.common).

log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.

new instance of Ptdm create

new appId created

new instance of Ptdm create

new appId created

2008/03/18 16:49:02 DBConnecton-Reaper ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [hashCode = 5039595]

2008/03/18 16:49:07 DBConnecton-Reaper ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Closed Database connection [hashCode = 4159766]

Great! We got things running now!

If you could provide me some assistance with getting data back - that would be much appreciated.

All you need to do is run a new Campus Manager Data Collection followed by a User Tracking acquisition. Both can be started from the Campus Manager Homepage under Campus Manager > Home.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: