cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AccessPoint strong signal but little or no connectivity

DonnaJ
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble with our wireless access point. We use Cisco 1100. For starters, when you connect, you get a strong signal but little or no connectivity. Any advice?

Thanks,

DJ

2 Replies 2

ougryphon
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know much about Cisco access points, but my experience with other APs is that when you see a strong signal but no connectivity, your WEP key is wrong. I had this particular problem when mixing D-Link and Dynex equipment because Dynex uses the passphrase to generate a scrambled key whereas the D-Link equipment just took the passphrase and made a key out of the ascii character codes. In any case, the key may or may not be the problem you're having, but I figured I would add my two cents.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If by "Little or No Connectivity" you are talking about a Microsoft balloon in the lower right corner of your screen, that is telling you that you are connected, but it didn't get a DHCP address, it's using the APIPA 169.254.x.x.

Verify that you can get to the DHCP server, and that it is responding correctly.

As a quick test, assign an IP address (mask, default gateway, DNS) manually and see if it makes a difference for you.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card