Views
Helpful
Replies

IP addresses and not hostname on DFM

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Why is it on DFM I can only see the IP address of the devices? Is there a way that I can edit that to show the hostname instead? I thought once I edit the device identity under Common Services, and change the display name and hostname, I will be able to see the hostname for all the devices but it did not.

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM is the only app in LMS that does not respect display name. Instead, DFM does its own resolution on the IP address to get a hostname. You will need to make sure your DNS or hosts file is properly configured so that the IP address being managed by DFM resolves to a hostname, and that hostname resolves back to that IP address.

Hi Joe,

How can I resolve the hostnames using the hosts file? How will i configure it? I didn't make use of any dns on my Ciscoworks server.

Just add an entry like:

10.1.1.1 HOSTNAME

There should be at least one example entry in there as a guide.

Is this the correct path where I would change the hosts file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc? Will it take effect immediately or will I have to restart the server?

This is the correct path. You should not have to reboot after making changes. You will need to delete and re-add your device in DFM, however.

Why is it Joe that when I go to Rediscover/Delete under Device Management of DFM, the Delete button is grayed out? Only Rediscover and Refresh buttons are clickable. Is there a problem with my DFM application?

You have to disable DCR auto-sync in DFM to get the Delete button to be enabled. This is done under Device Management > Device Selector.

Joe, if I add the DNS entries will DFM re-query DNS and update the device info automatically or will I have to rediscover the device?

thanks

You will have to delete the device from DFM, then re-add it.

Thanks, so I assume I'd have to just delete and re-add through DCR since they are synched?

Well, that's a bit excessive. You can temporarily unsync DFM an DCR, then simply remove the device from DFM. This way, the stored configs and syslog messages will not be purged.

Cool. I added the DNS entries, unsynced DFM from DCR, deleted the devices that were showing up as IPs, then re-checked the box to resync. It rediscovered everything I deleted but brought them all back as IPs again.

Should DFM be relying on the Windows host DNS entries?

DFM is very particular about how it determines the hostname. Try adding an entry for this device to the Windows hosts file, repeat the delete/re-add, and see if that helps.

That's odd. We have DNS entries for all of the existing devices and those names show up in DFM, this was the case pre 2.6 upgrade as well. Its just new devices for some reason.... so it must be using DNS correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: