Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 switch

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am preparing for CCNP and my aim CCIE later sometime probably i will prepare for BSCI and BCMSN first

I have two questions

I already have 3 2620 routers and 2 2950 switches and one 2520 frame relay router

DO i need to buy A 3550 switch

i have an option of buying one but i dont know if it is of right configuration

here is its sh version command

SW1>sh version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 09-Dec-03 03:21 by yenanh

Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0080DDAC

ROM: Bootstrap program is C3550 boot loader

SW1 uptime is 4 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-19.EA1a/c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-19.EA1a.bin"

cisco WS-C3550-24 (PowerPC) processor (revision E0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CAT0636Y0EK

Last reset from warm-reset

Bridging software.

Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

Ethernet-controller 1 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 2 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 3 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

Ethernet-controller 4 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

384K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0A:B7:D2:15:00

Motherboard assembly number: 73-5700-08

Power supply part number: 34-0966-02

Motherboard serial number: CAT063403UN

Power supply serial number: DCA06310J34

Model revision number: E0

Motherboard revision number: D0

Model number: WS-C3550-24-SMI

System serial number: CAT0636Y0EK

Configuration register is 0x10F

Q.1 Is the 3550 switch of good configuration Should i buy the 3550 switch

I buyed the lab companion book of BCMSN and tells me to have a couple of 3560 and and a couple of 2960 switches and a bunch of WLAP

setting up this lab is lot of mmoney

Q.2 can i buy 2 3550 instaed of 2 3560

and use 2950 instead of 2 2960

or renting the rack would be a better option

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi There

AS I said, I would recommend that you copy the IOS image that is currently on the router to your PC/laptop, so that you have a backup copy before you start upgrading the Flash memory.

Then if your router has both SIMM slots filled with small SIMMS, it is possible that these are configured as 1 larger "Virtual" Flash area, on which the IOS is installed.

In this case you will replace 1 or both SIMMS with larger SIMMS. So if your IOS is split across 2 SIMMS and you remove 1 of them or replace both of then, you will render your router useless as it will no longer have a valid IOS image.

You would then have to copy the IOS image that you stored on your PC/Laptop back onto the router.

HTH & again thanks for the rating.

Best Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

This is an SMI model with a SMI IOS. It is layer 3, but will only run static routing and RIP. No EIGRP, OSPF or BGP.

I would say that you could probably get by without a layer 3 switch for your studies, or rent some reack time to get some hands on practice.

However if you are going to buy a 3550 for your home lab, then I would advise picking up at least an SMI model with EMI IOS or a full EMI model.

The IOS loaded here is c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-19.EA1a/c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-19.EA1a.bin

The "i5" in the name after the c3500 denotes SMI code.

EMI code will have "i9".

Also you can see whether the switch is an SMI or EMI model at the bottom of the "show version" output.

Look for "Model number: WS-C3550-24-SMI" four lines from the bottom.

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

hi

thanks for your advice

i just accidently bought a 2620 router from ebay without knowing the config

if it has low flash and dram can i upgrade them without changing the IOS

How does that part work

please advice

Thanks

Hi There

Yes you can. Inside the 2600 there is 1 space for the DRAM and 2 spaces for the Flash memory.

What memory (DRAM & Flash) has the router got at present? Also open the router up and look inside. Is there 1 Flash SIMM or two?

I would start by saving the current IOS off to a PC/Laptop, so if anything goes wrong you have a backup copy.

Then, if the router only has 1 Flash SIMM, this means that the IOS is on that 1 SIMM so you should be able to add the second Flash SIMM without any trouble.

If the router has two Flash SIMMS, then it possible (depending on the size of the IOS image) that your IOS is using both SIMMS. This would entail upgrading the Flash and then restoring you backed up IOS image back on to the router.

Upgrading the DRAM will not affect the IOS.

You will need to have a TFTP server application on your PC/Laptop. You can download the Cisco recommended application here http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32.html

P.S. Thanks for the Rating, much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi

Thanks for your expert advice which you do always

I am sorry i didnot uderstand by mentioned above "This would entail upgrading the Flash and then restoring you backed up IOS image back on to the router"

Thanks

Hi There

AS I said, I would recommend that you copy the IOS image that is currently on the router to your PC/laptop, so that you have a backup copy before you start upgrading the Flash memory.

Then if your router has both SIMM slots filled with small SIMMS, it is possible that these are configured as 1 larger "Virtual" Flash area, on which the IOS is installed.

In this case you will replace 1 or both SIMMS with larger SIMMS. So if your IOS is split across 2 SIMMS and you remove 1 of them or replace both of then, you will render your router useless as it will no longer have a valid IOS image.

You would then have to copy the IOS image that you stored on your PC/Laptop back onto the router.

HTH & again thanks for the rating.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi

i highly appreciate your response michael

i have never worked in a production enviroment i wanted to know what are the benchmark routers and switches used in most of the companies

how are they connected to the wan links

do they have CSU/DSU, NT1's connected to the serial interfaces or they are inbiult in the router

what are the WAN hardwars used in the production environment

appreciate any response

thanx!

Hi, michale

just a minor correction for 2600:

2600 non-xm router has one simm slot for system flash and two dimm slots for DRAMs.

Please refer the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/cnfgnote/2600mem.htm#34451

Cheers

SSLIN

Hi SSLIN

Yep, you are correct. My mistake. Thank you for pointing this out. Much appreciated.

Gursaran: I am afraid all my networking experience is on LAN's. I have never worked with/on a WAN, unless my home ADSL connection counts :) Any WAN knowledge I may have is purely from my studies. So I would not the best to advise as to what equipment is used in the real world and how it connects to the WAN. The only thing that I can offer is that I know that the company I work for uses Cisco 6509's as their Core switches/routers.

Best Regards,

Michael

hi

i apreciate your response

i wanted to know that i have cable internet at home how can i access my router from office

my router is a 2620 which has 1-wicT and isdn briU in its slots

where do i connect the internet connector which is coming from a modem

what is Isdn BRI U module used for?

and what is the AUX port on the

router used for?

Please help me out

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: