cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need something like HSRP

bardak5328
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if this is possible. I have a situation where I have a I have a pair of 7201 at the network edge. They each have an uplink to an external network/AS via EBGP and the uplinks are Gig/E /30's. I don't want equal cost load balancing. I wanted one of the links to be the prefered uplink so I put in a route-map and added delay to the less prefered link. Everything fine and when I have issues with the primary uplink, traffic goes over the secondary link, then when the primary is fixed, the original path is restored. The problem is (or my goal is), when I have an instance where traffic is going over the alternate link, I actually want to that to become the new primary link and not fail over to the other link unless I loose the BGP peer or link goes down. So I need remove the delay one the alternate link and put in something like HSRP without preempt. Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think what you do here is to use the IOS feature enhanced object tracking and have you link or the BGP neigbor tracked with this and then take the appropriate response accordingly. I havent tried this but I can help you in deriving the configs for it. Lets try this out and see if this works for us.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/fthsrptk.html

-amit singh

Great! Let me look over the doc. and see if I can make sense of it. Thanks again. . . Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: