cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Route OSPF Hello messages

RyanMarotz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to use "ip local policy" to route locally generated OSPF messages through a different interface. It appears that I'm able to accomplish this for all OSPF packets except Hello (multicast to 224.0.0.5) messages. Is there a way to use local policy routing to route locally generated OSPF Hello multicast messages?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ryan

I do not believe that there is a way to policy route the 224.0.0.5 hello messages. And I am puzzled why you would want to do this? If you want OSPF to go out some other interface why not just configure a network statement that matches the other interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for replying. I probably wasn't clear enough on my initial question. I want to send all locally generated OSPF messages to a interface of my choice instead of the OSPF messages going to their interfaces. The reason I am doing this is that I have a PC sitting off that interface that I want to process the router's OSPF messages.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I don't know if this would work but you can give it a try if you want. Just because you see unicast OSPF packets being forwarded out by local policy routing but not multicast packets can you enable multicasting (ip pim dense-mode) on the interface connected to the station processing OSPF packets. Again, I am not sure if this would work but worth a try if you wish.

HTH

Sundar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card