cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy Route OSPF Hello messages

RyanMarotz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to use "ip local policy" to route locally generated OSPF messages through a different interface. It appears that I'm able to accomplish this for all OSPF packets except Hello (multicast to 224.0.0.5) messages. Is there a way to use local policy routing to route locally generated OSPF Hello multicast messages?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ryan

I do not believe that there is a way to policy route the 224.0.0.5 hello messages. And I am puzzled why you would want to do this? If you want OSPF to go out some other interface why not just configure a network statement that matches the other interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for replying. I probably wasn't clear enough on my initial question. I want to send all locally generated OSPF messages to a interface of my choice instead of the OSPF messages going to their interfaces. The reason I am doing this is that I have a PC sitting off that interface that I want to process the router's OSPF messages.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I don't know if this would work but you can give it a try if you want. Just because you see unicast OSPF packets being forwarded out by local policy routing but not multicast packets can you enable multicasting (ip pim dense-mode) on the interface connected to the station processing OSPF packets. Again, I am not sure if this would work but worth a try if you wish.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco