cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a VLAN

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 4510 Switches on my network. I have a dedicated T1 from an outside Customer that has will have a about 10 users that need to be on this separate network. On each switch, there i 3 ports i need dedicated to this separate network. I assume the best way to handle this is to setup a VLAN....

The T1 is connected into our 3600 router

Which is managed by our WAN group offsite. To utilize this VLAN, Is there a way to avoid having to do any configuring on the router?, or can i do all the configuring on my Switches?...

Thank you

rob davis

4 Replies 4

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Rob,

If I understand well, the 3 4510 switches are on this side of the router and the 10 users are on the other side of the T1 line.

You need to have a separate "network" for the 10 users + 3x3 user ports on the 3 switches.

If this is true, then I advise the following:

As they are connected through a router, you cannot have a simple vlan connection between the 2 sites.

You need to put the 10 users in a subnet and the 3x3 switchports in another subnet.

As they are connected to different interfaces of the router, there will be a routed connection between the 2 subnets.

If you want a behavior between the 2 subnets that is similar to when they are in one subnet, you can apply acls that will limit the traffic between the 2 subnets in both directions.

If you need help in constructing the acls, please write me and I can help you do this.

On the other hand, if the switches are located on the outside customer premises, you simply can configure a VLAN for these 10 users and connect the 3 switches via trunks.

Cheers:

Istvan

Istvan,. the ten users are in my network. they each have 2 nics one for our network, and the second nic for the other network...

The way it is setup now, there is a separte switch with one connection coming from the router, and a few users plugged into this separate switch, and fiber from this separate switch connecting to another office to accomodate the users who need the connection there. I to get rid of the separate switch, and setup a vlan so i can plug it directly into the 4510R switch, using a vlan... My question to you, will i have to do anything on the Router to make this happen?

thank you

Sorry Rob, I still haven't got it.

Please draw the connections between the devices using |, -, >, < etc. characters.

Thank you:

Istvan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I understand what you want to accomplish, it might be as simple as defining 3 access client ports on each 4510 then spanning that vlan across the three 4510s. (The latter could be done either across a trunk, or via a port dedicated to this vlan.) Lastly, connect the router to another port on any of the three 4510 that's also in the same vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card