cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Retail Showrooms, CME, back to Main office CM 6.1

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

I need a doc that discusses connecting remote offices running CME, they will be running SRST, back to my main office running Communication Manager 6.1?

I am not certain what info needs to be on the router, remote sites, to tie back into the subscriber and publisher, or do I just configure the CM with the devices for the remote locations? This is my first deployment like this so any direction would be great.

5 Replies 5

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

From doing some digging I found in:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeplan.html

Restrictions for Configuring Cisco Unified CME

•Cisco Unified CME cannot register as a member of a Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster.

So I am assuming the network connection is all the router is used for until a failure since the router will be running in SRST mode. Only then will the dial-peer and ephone dn's kick in

is that right?

mciarfello
Level 4
Level 4

So you have two routers at the remote offices? One running CCME, the other running SRST (backing up CCME?)

This document is new. Can't find the older one I used in the past. I think the older one used the trunk object in callmanager. Rest looks the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a00808ebbfe.shtml

The CUCM 6.x SRND has some good info about integrating CME at the URL below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/callpros.html#wp1044453

chrclark
Level 1
Level 1

First lets clear up some terminology and concepts.

CME and SRST are mutually exclusive. You can do one or the other, but not both.

SRST is a feature of IOS that allows phones to register to the router in case of a WAN failure. It has somewhat limited features while the WAN is down. In SRST mode, the phones register to CallManager during normal operation and only register to the router/gateway when there is a WAN outage. Dial plans are administed mostly on CallManager and somewhat on the router/gateway.

CME is another feature set of IOS that is intended to run completely standalone, but can place calls to/from phones that are registered to CallManager. In CME, the phones are normally registered to the local router. Dial plans are mainly administered on the CME router.

There are various reasons for doing one or the other, but often times voice-mail integration determines which one you select. What I usually see is that CallManagers integrated with Unity use SRST for the remote site. If the remote site has a Unity Express module, then they might run CME for a more standalone integration.

If you do select SRST mode, then make sure you thoroughly test the dial plan in WAN failure mode.

Hope this helps,

Chris

All,

I have read through the SRND section that discusses CME integration and have found some useful info previous to this post but does not answer everything I am looking for.

We were able to get Unity Express working with the SRST to CCM 6.1

We tested the fall back with 1 FXO port and everything seems to be working.

The issue we have is phone registration. We are able to register one phone only on the network. Any other phones just sit in upgrading status with the mac showing. We put the phone on another switch and on the same VLAN as the CM servers and it works just fine. This is after a factory reset on both switches. No matter what we do we are not able to get any additional phones working on the remote network, just one phone. We have verified network connectivity, we have verified port config and everything works like it should. I am trying manual registration now.