Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP question

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi eveyrone I have a quick question here

I have an existing 3845 that is running BGP already AS 65932 and this peers with an external BGP router as well as an internal BGP router. Now question is I'm going to peer with another router would it be wiser to create a seperate AS for the new connection or will it be ok to using the existing AS already? Thank you in advance for your input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Warren

I am not sure that I really understand what you mean when you ask about creating a separate AS for the new connection. I wonder if you mean that you would create another BGP process using an AS different from 65932. This will not work. It would work in EIGRP to create several processes with different AS but BGP will only allow a single process.

So my advice is to keep the same process and the same AS number for BGP and add the new router as another neighbor in BGP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Warren

I am not sure that I really understand what you mean when you ask about creating a separate AS for the new connection. I wonder if you mean that you would create another BGP process using an AS different from 65932. This will not work. It would work in EIGRP to create several processes with different AS but BGP will only allow a single process.

So my advice is to keep the same process and the same AS number for BGP and add the new router as another neighbor in BGP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

Nope this is exactly what I was asking, I wasn't sure if we can have more than 1 BGP process running on the same router. Ok sounds good thank you sir!!!!

Warren

I am glad that my answer helped to resolve your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that an answer did resolve the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

yuhuiyao
Level 1
Level 1

one AS number per router, 65932 is not a feasible number, max is 65535.

thank you for that info!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card