cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL logs

o_z_l_e_m
Level 1
Level 1

on cisco C6513 Version 12.2, I cant see any problem about the snmp configs but there are a lot of %SNMP-3-AUTHFAIL logs on the cisco device for HPOV NNM IP address. Today Ive tried to find a bug, but there is no bug about it :)

what can be the problem?

Thanks

Ozlem

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

An authFail is typically generated when a device is polled with the wrong SNMP community string. If NNM is causing your switch to generate these traps/syslogs, you should check the NNM config to make sure it is polling with the correct community string.

Alternatively, if your switch has access-lists on your community strings that do not permit the IP address of your NNM server, then you will need to modify those ACLs to allow your NMS to poll the switch.

as I said before, snmp configs (also snmp strings on both system) is ok.

also access-lists are including NNMs IP address.

Then maybe there's another NMS application on this host that this polling the switch with the wrong community string. That's why I said you should gather a sniffer trace to see what string is being used and what objects are being polled. It will help pinpoint the culprit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: