cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Notes about IOS software

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router 1700 series which can not load the flash , so it loads the basic IOS from ROM . The problem is that the Router says that it has less available memory than the flash IOS which i have recently upload to the router. I need some instructions about the commands of the basic IOS of the router so i can clean the flash and download a new IOS which is not so big for router's memory .

Thanks a lot

moses

3 Replies 3

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

erase

path of flash can be seen with dir command

Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 33827464 Jul 7 2006 15:46:16 +00:00 c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz

.124-5a.bin

delete full path

regards

shivlu

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First, you have to insure the image you desire is not physically bigger than your flash. IOS images of newer versions and/or additional features tend to be larger. Sometimes, you'll need to drop down a feature set or version to find an image that will fit.

Second, insure your flash doesn't have any files on it that you no longer need. Often the IOS image you intend to replace will need to be removed to provide sufficient space for the new image.

Third, there's a delete command that can be used against individual files on flash but depending on the actual filesystem on the flash, the space may NOT be recovered just by deleting.

Fourth, to completely empty the flash, the erase command usually works or the newer format command. If supported, I would recommend the format command.

PS:

Not sure about the 1700s, but many later routers support one or more external flash modules. (Some even now support USB.) I.e. you might need to buy a bigger flash module. (Some internal flashes can also be upgraded; more involved.)

It's also possible to load and boot an IOS from an external server. Don't recommend this beyond the LAB.

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, moses12315

I guess you are in the rommon> mode, right? If that is the case, just use tftpdnld command to download a new file to the flash. Before that, you have to define the following parameters so that you have connectivity between your router and the tftp server:

IP_ADDRESS

IP_SUBNET_MASK

DEFAULT_GATEWAY

TFTP_SERVER

TFTP_FILE

There is no need to delete the old file manually, it will be deleted automatically in the middle of the download process.

HTH

SSLIN

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card