cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DBi Antenna Power control

manojdubey02
Level 1
Level 1

we proposed a wireless network solution to the customer with 4400 Series WLAN Controller for up to 25 Lightweight APs and 1000 Series 802.11a/b/g AP w/Int Ant and RP-TNC, ETSI cnfg with 6 DBi antenna.

Can i control the DBi antenna power by using WLAN Controller ??? Or in any other way..

Please provide me the assistance on above

Regards,

Manoj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you can control the power output of the AP with the controller. The antenna will still have a 6dbi rating, you just will need to adjust your transmit power accordingly.

The contoller does have a field to enter the db rating of the antenna, however that field is informational only, it does not change the operating properties of the AP.

Seth

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you can control the power output of the AP with the controller. The antenna will still have a 6dbi rating, you just will need to adjust your transmit power accordingly.

The contoller does have a field to enter the db rating of the antenna, however that field is informational only, it does not change the operating properties of the AP.

Seth

During the site survey, we used the 1230 and assigned tx power based on 100mw, 50, 30, 10, 5.. so on.. on the AP. But when we implemented the controller-based, the transmit power were replaced with 'power levels', 1,2,3,4... so on... I read somewhere that 1 is the max and as the level increases, it is 50% less. say, 1=100mw, 2=50 mw, 3=25mw, 4=12.5, 5=6.25 and so on...

the confusion is, some AP's were set to 30mw of tx power during the site survey. Which level should be the euqivalent as tx power level on the wlc-based deployment? is it safe to assign the 30mw site survey data to the #3 tx power level on the controller?

And do you have ideas on the effect of using or assigning the country codes of the controller. If US is used, what is the max power level value, 100mw? And if US is used as country code, can we used any AP on any country domain. I checked out the chart, but it's quite confusing. Hope you can, or anyone can, shed light on this.

Thanks for any ideas.... Argh!

Be advised that the 1000 series APs (my favorites) have been End of Lifed by Cisco and are NOT supported in 5x code. I would not suggest selling these to customers now as there will be no future support much to my disgust.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to make your adjustments on the Transmit Power to adjust the dbm required.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card