Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 3640 Specifications

microcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Further to my recent inquiry about 2611XM running mpls, can one please lead me on best specification to buying 3640 routers?.

I mean what to look for in this module to be able to run MPLS, VPN, TE etc, and maybe to help me further as well when its time to prepare for the CCIE. (Now is CCIP)

Regards

3 Replies 3

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, microcisconet

The best specification of 3640 routers:

FLASH:32M

MEMORY:128M

IOS installed: jk9o3s-12.4 or so

The features you requested are not module-dependent, but IOS-dependent. You can use many types of NM modules and run MPLS,etc without any problem, provided you have installed a proper ios image.

HTH

SSLIN

SSLIN,

Many thanks for your response.

Does that mean that only specific IOS on 3640 series can run MLPS?.

Because i currently have 2611XM with maximum MB/FLS yet couldn't run MPLS.

Can upgrading these 2611XMs make them capable of running MPLS or the platform doesn't support MPLS?.

Thanks a "Terabyte" in advance

Hi, microcisconet

For 3640, I have tested some ios images (12.4 enterprise, 12.3T telco); they can run mpls command pretty well. I think as long as you have enterprise(or sp/telco) feature set image 12.3 above installed on the router, you will have no problem to run mpls on your lab.

For 2600xm, it's not the case. I guess Cisco has stripped off mpls features from 2600xm platform on 12.4 main line image even though it's a advance enterprise feature set. To run mpls on 2600xm, you might have to "DOWNGRADE" it to 12.3 enterprise feature set. For example, I have installed c2600-jk9o3s3-mz.123-15.bin(need 32/96 memory) image on my 2611xm router and c2600-j1s3-mz.123-24.bin(need 16/64 memory) on my 2621 router, and both of them can run mpls

features (VPN, TE) pretty well.

HTH

SSLIN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card