cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the Pix support secondary IP addresses

stuart.jones
Level 1
Level 1

I have aPix FW running version 6.3(3), can the Pix FW support additional/secondary IP addresses on its interfaces much like a router can ?

Thanks inadvance

Stu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jefanell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only one IP address can be configured on a given interface.

What is the design goal you are trying to achieve? If it is simply to provide a gateway to more than one subnet, why not put them on separate VLAN's?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/bafwcfg.html#wp1112226

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jefanell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only one IP address can be configured on a given interface.

What is the design goal you are trying to achieve? If it is simply to provide a gateway to more than one subnet, why not put them on separate VLAN's?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/pix/pix63/configuration/guide/bafwcfg.html#wp1112226

believe it or not, there are places that still

use hub instead of switch. They want to

separate layer-3 while having multiple network

with different networks connected to the same

hub. That's what router's secondary address is

designed for, among other things.

I understand completely. Unfortunately, the ASA/PIX platform is focused on security, and as such does not have all the flexibility of the IOS router platform. The only other option I can suggest is to front-end the ASA/PIX with a router.

Thanks for the reply, i was thinking that it didnt support it, and yes to your question they want to extend the connected subnets, so VLANs might well be the way to go, thanks for the reply

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card