Views
Helpful
Replies

Conecting a 2600 to host via crossover

ivan_jukic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Total noob here. I'm tying to connect my 2600 to host via crossover but can't seem to ping the router.

NOTE:

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

No shutdown

Host

ip address 192.168.2.10 255.255.255.0

I'm racking my brains here any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Ivan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ivan,

The common initial questions, have you tested the cable, and what is the output of the show interface f0/1 ?

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

adamtroxel
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a green light on each side of the connection?

I've had issues where a host will auto-cross-over the cable and a cross-over cable just confuses the host's NIC.

try these and post the output:

sh int f0/1

sh arp

last question : any acls applied?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ivan,

The common initial questions, have you tested the cable, and what is the output of the show interface f0/1 ?

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

adamtroxel
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a green light on each side of the connection?

I've had issues where a host will auto-cross-over the cable and a cross-over cable just confuses the host's NIC.

try these and post the output:

sh int f0/1

sh arp

last question : any acls applied?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick response.

You wouldn't believe it. It was the cables.GRRRRR...

I have two crossover cables (Triple checked the pins outs), that I used but the light weren't coming up. So I checked my config and IP of the host for the 3rd time, they were ok.

So I knew it was a physical problem.

So I thought, maybe the cable are damaged; Highly unlikely as they are brand new and I treat my cables like gold!!!

So I decided to buy some new ones. Low and behold they, activity/link lights came up straight away. And my network was singing again.

Thanks again

P.S Sorry if I have wasted your time on this one. I should have know better, even though I was tired last night

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

You are very welcomed, i am glade that you've solved this out, no "Sorry", all of us has our glitches and we are all here to share our knowledge and point of views.

Again you are very welcomed, and thanks for the rating.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for that.

No Problem, you are a true help and worth your weight in gold.

Regards,

Ivan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card