cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF neighbours

azmath.hk
Level 1
Level 1

Could you please tell me how we can see hostnames of OSPF routers in an output of 'show ip ospf neighbours'.

What is the command we can put in OSPF configuration? Please advice.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Azmath

I am not aware of any way to have the command show ip ospf neighbor to show the host name rather than the IP address of the neighbor.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Kindly try "ip ospf name-lookup" in the global configuration.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed

Thanks for pointing out a command that I had forgotten. It deserves the rating that I gave it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

You are very welcomed, this is nothing beside what i've learned from you on this forum. Thank you very much for the rating.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Yes, Mohammed is right. You should have a DNS server configured (ip name-server ). Have in mind that in critical situation troubleshooting this command can cause the response of OSPF show commands to be very slow. So, get to know your routers by the their IP address names as well (at least roughly).

Kind Regards,

M.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Mohammed is right.

However, some "show commands in OSPF will take sometime to provide you the output if...

- DNS is not configured properly in the router

- Router lost connection to DNS

- DNS is not available

...so if this happens and you are troubleshooting OSPF, you can issue a "show" command and prepare a cappuccino :)

Regards,

Dandy

Hi,

When i've used this command, i've always used local resolution to resolve the RIDs rather than using a DNS server, but agree with you regarding the DNS server issues:

ip host R5 151.5.5.5

ip ospf name-lookup

R6(config)#do sh ip os ne

Neighbor ID Pri State Dead Time Address Interface

R5 1 FULL/BDR 00:00:33 150.1.1.5 FastEthernet0/0

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco