Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Issue

Tarek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have Site to Site VPN set up, I can ping and access files across the VPN tunnel.

However the issue is that, it doesn't display the computers on the workgroup on my network neighbourhood( ie remote computers can not see the main office computers)

Is there a way I will be able to see these computers? if so what command can I use to allow me see these computers.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

James Lasky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

do you use microsoft-ds to see neighbour network ?

If so did u put microsoft-ds service (tcp445) in vpn encryption domain ?

Pls rate if it helps

Ric

Hi

I am not using Microsoft-ds to see neighbour network. Actualy all internal IT stuff is done by a different company.

The only thing I was involve in is to setup Site-to-site VPN using two cisco 877 series routers.

can something be done on these routers so that all the computers can be seen. if so what is the IOS command that can make it possible.

Thanks

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think there are any magic Cisco commands to do this. You should research the Microsoft Computer Browser Service, which is what populates the Browse List, which is what you see when you open Windows Explorer and drill down into the Network Neighbourhoods. In a nutshell, the Browser Service is built up using broadcast packets, and any router function between subnets will cause issues. My guess is that you have different subnets on either side of the tunnels, and that is where the problems start.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi,

First of all, in recent and properly set microsoft networking, network browsing is not based anymore on broadcasts, but on proper domain controller setup and registration of computers to it.

But even if you need broadcast propagation to make your ms browsing working, no worries, just configure "ip helper-address" on the lan interface. As destination, use the subnet brodcast for the remote network, eg on lan 192.168.0.0 you will set 192.168.1.255.

hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco