cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting commands

rsamuel708
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to investigate intermittently high ping times. I sometimes will start a constant ping (-t) to certain locations on my network just to see the response times. Every now and then it goes from time<1ms to over 400ms. I'd like to try to figure out is going on between these times, if anything.

Any suggestions on how to get more info on these high figures?

Thanks in advance.

/rls

2 Replies 2

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

The issue is the packet may be a taking a suboptimal route or the packet may be lost in the transit path. Check the configuration on per hop basis and verify the if every configuration is correct.

To know more where the issue is occuring use debug commands.

bmcginn
Level 3
Level 3

Mate,

A handy tool is Wireshark or Ethereal. You can download them if you don't know what I'm talking about.

They'll do packet capture for you. You just need to mirror or span the router's port on the switch, connect in the Ethereal laptop to the span port and capture away...

It ought to you give you an excellent start point for troubleshooting that sort of issue.

Enjoy!

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card