cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL (Memory Allocation Failure)

Hi everyone, I am configuring BGP on a 7507 router and %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL message appeared few minutes after I started the routing protocol, The router is running

rsp-isv-mz.124-17.bin image file. What should I do to troubleshoot this issue?

Regards,

Alejandro Serrano

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alejandro

It sounds to me as if the memory size requirement of the BGP routing table may be more than the memory of this router. How much memory does this router have? And how many BGP peers are configured? And most importantly how many routes are the peers advertising to you?

I would suggest using the command show memory and look in the first several lines of the display to find how much free memory the router has in processor memory. And use the command show ip bgp summary to find how many prefixes your peers have advertised to you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Besides what Rick has said, in this particular router model you should make sure that any existing VIP cards have enough memory. The FIB in this router resides not only in the RSP, but is downloaded to the VIP linecards as well (for distributed switching to occur), so you must have adequate memory there for the router to work without issues.

Kind Regards,

M.

p.s. If you estimate that you can afford it in terms of CPU, you could disable CEF (needs memory) temporarily, until you resolve the memory issue (that is trading CPU for memory). This can be risky however. You have 2 options: disable cef distributed (affects only linecard memory) or disable cef alltogether (normal and distributed).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card