Helpful
Replies

manipulating vlan traffic to a single switch

jackf9333
Level 1
Level 1

hi

question on switching

im trying to make traffic for a cerain vlan say vlan 44 go through port number 15 on my dl switch. if that port fails i want the traffic to go through port 14 and if that fails through port 13

any ideas?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

IMO the best way to do that is with Spanning Tree. You will have to manipulate a metric to determine which link is active, secondary and tertiary. You could try flex links [http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swflink.html] but they are only good for two links, not three. Another solution could be to use Etherchannel, but that's assuming all three links go to the same switch and all three could be active at the same time.

HTH

thanks for the reply the problem is i can only do configuration the root bridge if i was to do metric it would have to be on the other switch, any other ideas?

Trying to get a bigger picture, why can you only change the root bridge?

Sorry because thats the task ive been set to do

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: