Views
Helpful
Replies

Bgp hold time expired

sunilferrao
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am facing very strange problem in one of my 64k link, which is running BGP, the problem is BGP is frequently flapping I have attached log as well, but layer 3 interface not going down which is connected to the remote.

Any one have idea what could be the problem?

Mar 17 16:08:34.732 UTC: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 10.x.x.x Down BGP Notification sent

Mar 17 16:08:34.732 UTC: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor 10.x.x.x 4/0 (hold time expired) 0 bytes

please help

6 Replies 6

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Congestion of the link is the possible culprit.

Check your line utilization and interface drop packets.

You have not mentioned the main purpose of the line, traffic, utilization, etc. but 64Kbps is too small.

Regards,

Dandy

Hi Dandy,

Thanks for your reply, but I check the wan interface and link but I couldn't find any errors,drops in wan link, 64k is sufficient for my requirement there is hardly 30kb required for my application , still any more idea, what could be the issue?

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

What is the hold timer set to? Note the minimum hold time between the two peers is used, so if the other side has it set really low, that could be used instead of the one you have set.

Are you seeing your input queues on the interface pile up? You shouldn't with this few neighbors, but it might be useful to try setting the input queues higher than the defaults, and see if that clears the problem up.

:-)

Russ

tomy.nurhadi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sunil,

I am having the same problem as yours. My link is 256K and the BGP peering keep flapping in 90 seconds interval (which is the hold time). Is your problem solved? What is the solution?

Thanks a lot.

hi tomy,

yes my problem is fixed. there was a problem with my LL link . done end to end test to fix the problem by local service provider.

i hope u have the same issue.

regards

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for sharing. It turns out that the problem is the router faulty. The provider has proven us that their LL is good. When we change WIC card to another slot, the BGP is up and stable. This is hard to believe, but I suppose the impossible is possible when it comes to cisco.

Thanks,

Tomy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card