Views
Helpful
Replies

3270 emulation on lightweight APs?

Descotes.D
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

i would like to know if lightweight mode APs (in a centralized WLAN then) are able to emulate a 3274 telnet session?

Thanks, Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you are asking if the LWAP system will pass Telnet 3270, yes it will.

If you are asking whether you can use Telnet 3270 to connect to the controller or AP for management or monitoring purposes, then I'm pretty sure the answer there is "NO."

If you are asking if the AP (lightweight or otherwise) can act as a controller (like a 3274) or agent for a controller such that it can manage TN3270 sessions to a host, I believe the answer to that is also "NO."

The wireless system (lightweight or otherwise) is just a substitute for real wire. Really nothing more, or less ... it's "virtual cable."

If a cable can do it (whatever "it" is), chances are good that wireless can do it too. The other minor services that wireless can provide (DHCP, for example) are only there in a limited capacity to support the wireless environment, usually for smaller installations.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wow, that's an exotic request!

I'm trying to understand what exactly you are

trying to accomplish. Let's figure this out

from the client side ... what device's monitor

is supposed to display the 3270 screen? How

does this device connect to the network?

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you are asking if the LWAP system will pass Telnet 3270, yes it will.

If you are asking whether you can use Telnet 3270 to connect to the controller or AP for management or monitoring purposes, then I'm pretty sure the answer there is "NO."

If you are asking if the AP (lightweight or otherwise) can act as a controller (like a 3274) or agent for a controller such that it can manage TN3270 sessions to a host, I believe the answer to that is also "NO."

The wireless system (lightweight or otherwise) is just a substitute for real wire. Really nothing more, or less ... it's "virtual cable."

If a cable can do it (whatever "it" is), chances are good that wireless can do it too. The other minor services that wireless can provide (DHCP, for example) are only there in a limited capacity to support the wireless environment, usually for smaller installations.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for your answers.

I was asking if the lightweight APs could act as "mini controllers", as teklogix 9150 (eg) does when not in lightweight mode.

The problem we have is deploying a centralized wlan while having some devices connected in wifi by a 3274 "mini controller" (the teklogix 9150 can be put in a special mode)

I think that the right answer could be "NO", thank you very much!

.. and sorry for my bad english, i try to improve it!!

Your English is fine, it was just a question of your specific intent.

You are correct, the Cisco APs do not operate as a mini-controller. They will pass the TN3270 traffic with no problem.

Thank you for the rating!

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card