cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Asa 5540 CPU Usage

SpeedCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've got a 5540 that firewalls my production lan enviroment. I monitor the asa with asdm and i am constantly watching that the cpu usage is over 80% even though there are not a lot of active vpn's. Does anyone have some tips on how to make workaround?

7 Replies 7

allanc_16
Level 1
Level 1

can you post a show tech for review?

Allright..

Hi! Has anyone reviewed the show tech output?

From the show process I can see that the process called "telnet/ci" its taking a lot of the resources of the firewall.

From the following link it says that this process is used for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009456c.shtml

telnet/ciL: Telnet command interface. One per Telnet session (max 5).

Can you try and completly disable telnet and see if the CPU # goes down?

Ok, so i entered the cli and removed both of the lines that contain telnet, and realized i dont have access through telnet , i did wr then loaded the asdm did a refresh on the configuration and still the same. 81%

Hi,

Have u already found the problem?

I am having the same problem on one of my ASA's 5510 on 8.0.2/ASDM 6.0.2. CPU load is on 76% all the time. The processes telnet/ci is causing that.

Not really, I just reported the problem to my internall tech-support, and what they did was reload (reboot) the firewall.

That will bring the firewall to the normal cpu usage, about 7% or 8%, but i think we still need to do some in depth analysis.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card