cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is monitoring devices in both LMS and CUOM necssary

bill-mcgowan
Level 1
Level 1

We are monitoring all network devices approximatly 1500 routers / switches with LMS.

We recently installed CUOM for UCOMM / VOIP we have 3 clusters and about 10k phones.

Is there any reason to monitor the access switches and LAN infrastructure in CUOM? Since they are alrady monitored in LMS I'm hoping to just monitor the call managers, voicegateways and phones in cuom.

we will have some 1040 probes and service monitor on the distribution switches which carries voice traffic.

does that make any difference?

I'd say its not necessary to monitor the switches in CUOM but-- the mgr wants a second opinion

thanks in advance

Bill

3 Replies 3

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

Cisco licenses a striped down version of smarts to do the real time monitoring.

I'm not fully convinced it is topology aware, but if it is, having the switches in it's database would be allowing it to do a root cause analysis and provide sensible output as to what is not working right.

Without the topology information it would not be able to do that.

Cheers,

Michel

thanks for the reply - When you say having the switches in the database, do you mean in the DCR for Operations Manager OR actually located in the OM database of monitored devices? (meaning it would use up a license, I believe)

I meant the DFM database(s) but for a device to be in there it has to be in the DCR of the Operations Manager, using up a license indeed.

Cheers,

Michel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: