Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to reset Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switch - Mode button Faulty

This switch already has a configuration that I can not remove & i'm also unable to reset the switch to clear the config due to the Mode button being faulty... Could anyone recommand how to obtain the ip address. Thanks

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can I assume you cannot access it thru the console port and don't know the passwords ?

Thanks for getting back to me regarding the console port.

Can i make a cable to connect the switch console port to the laptop with both ends of the cable being RJ-45 connectors using the rollover cable pin formation? or for the console port do i need the cable that has one end RJ-45 and the next end 9-Pin-Din connector that connects to the Serial port at the back of my laptop.

You can do it using the snmp string RW.

need to have tool like solarwinds or cisco which can copy the config from the cisco device enable you to modify it and you can place back the config. Can replace the run and the starup config.

www.solarwinds.com you can find it put u need to pay

If you have a db9 connection on your laptop you need a console cable -- db9 to rj45 which plugs into the console port . you then use a terminal emulator like Tera Term to access the switch .

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

If all you want is to know the IP address use a dumb hub in one of the ports and start a sniffer program.

Power on the 2950 switch.

The cisco device will try to do a gratitious arp on its own ip address. and that you will se in the sniffer.

That way you can know what the ip address of the device is.

HTH

This is true for almost any ip device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: