Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks managing an ASA5505

bradsconley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am trying to manage an ASA5505 appliance from CiscoWorks. This is for device management and not firewall policy management, I am using ASDM for that.

When I go into CiscoWorks Common Services Device Summary and attempt to add the device, I select the type as an ASA5505 and enter the appropriate details. On the firewall I see the CiscoWorks server connect to the appliance and issue some config get commands do some other management functions so it looks like the CW server can talk to the appliance without a problem.

The problem is when I try to look at the device in CW. The ASA appliance does not turn up in any of the device lists and can not be found using the search tool in Device Management, however, if I try to create another object using the same display name as the previously created object CW tells me I cannot have two devices with the same name.

I am running ASA Software version 7.2(3)

Ciscworks software is at the following levels.

LMS 2.6

CS 3.0.6

CM 4.0.10

CV 6.1.5

DFM 2.0.10

IPM 2.6.0

IU 1.6.0

RME 4.0.6

I would appreciate if anyone could advise a solution to this problem.

Best regards,

Brad Conley.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is LMS integrated with ACS?

Yes, LMS is integrated with ACS and this was the exact reason it was not working.

Thanks for you assistance.

So this problem is fixed now?

Well i got conifused...

If ASA can be managed from the LMS, whats the big deal with CSM?

Secondly, in another thread, you said, CiscoWorks 2.6 is freely downloadable from Cisco. We had CiscoWorks 2.0.1 yet we paid for 2.6.

Then, we paid for NFC 5.0, and i have recently downloaded NFC 6.0 from cisco free of cost.

Cisco reseller sells us the cisco IOS for for such an amount, yet we can download and upgrade from cisco without any charge..

What am i missing here? please help

I though the ASA could be managed from CSM. However, I do not support CSM so I do not know exactly what it supports. If you have CSM questions, you should ask on one of the security forums.

As for your other questions, you should start a new thread for these.

Brad and all

I have the same problem.

I am unable to manage any ASA appliance

We have 5520's and 5505's.

I do not config ASA's so I don't know if the community strings are correctly set.

I see in one of our 5520's the following snmp parameter: snmp-server community _____

the underscore is where we have our standard community string.

Is this correct?

we are running CS Ciscoview 6.1.2

Cisco works 3.0.3

This version of LMS is quite old, and will not have support for the ASAs. You should upgrade to LMS 2.6 which is freely downloadable from Cisco.com (see http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/cw2000/lan-planner.shtml). Yes, that would be how the community string is configured on the ASA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: