Helpful
Replies

Bridging the same subnet over a WAN link

ziutek
Level 1
Level 1

We have the following:

Two sites connected over MPLS backbone.

We need to configure one subnet in both locations and have this subnet spanned across the WAN.

The reason for this is we have a security system that needs to monitor both sites using a private IP subnet. the security servers can be connected to 3750 switches in both locations.

Any simple solutions?

Thanks,

Joe

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

You could talk to your Service provider and see if they support virtual pseudowires which is a L2 P2P link over a L3 MPLS network. Attached is a link to some info on MPLS L2 VPN's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6603/products_ios_protocol_group_home.html

Alternatively you can use L2TPv3 and configure this yourself.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns341/ns396/ns172/ns155/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

HTH

Jon

We do not want to modfy our MPLS connections.

Can L2TP be runn between 2 L3 ports on the 3750s?

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

I suppose the "security server" insists on having the systems on a directly connected lan and would not work otherwise ?

I so there is a simple way to fool it while keeping a regular routed network.

Suppose the two locations are numbered 10.0.1.0/24 and 10.0.34/24.

On the picky server configure and address that falls in local network, but netmask /16. It will belive all the systems are local. The router will answer to requests by proxy-arp and it thing should work normally.

Joe

I don't believe L2TPv3 is supported on 3750 switches. So unless you talk to your SP you are limited in what you can do.

Jon

What about ethernet subinterfaces? The L3s are each behind a 2811. Could I run L2TP between the 2 2811s, with the end points on ethernet subinterfaces?

Yes you could as long as the network you are trying to bridge terminates on the subinterface on each respective 2811.

Jon

Just a curiosity question:

Do bridged connections no work across mpls?

Only point-to-point?

We have a site bridged across a point-to-point that is in the same subnet on the remote side as the local side.

Hi

MPLS supports 2 types of L2 bridging

1) Virtual pseudowire - a P2P layer link running over a L3 MPLS network

2) VPLS - a many to many L2 network ie just like ethernet extending across a L3 MPLS network.

So you can bridge vlans across MPLS. These 2 are provided by the service provider of the MPLS cloud.

You can also use L2TPv3 where you can bridge a vlan between 2 of your routers on at either end. The service provider is not needed here.

Hope this makes sense

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card