cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to factory default a 7960 Phone with old code?

tmoffett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am trying to get a couple of old 7960 phones to work with my CME demo kit. The phones were originally working with CCM4.0 or 4.1.

When I boot them up on a port with DHCP, option 150, etc, they never get an IP address and reboot continually. They also reboot as soon as I attempt to enter the network configuration menu - as soon as I use the up/down button to navigate the menu.

Any ideas whay is going on?

Thanks in advance!

22 Replies 22

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depower phone. Press and hold #. Apply power, release # when display show "reset sequence detected". Enter 123456789*0#. enter 2 to confirm delete network setting. Phone should reflash. Note, it may have problems in upgrading straight to latest.

Note most 7940-60 load a bugs with cme, there is a specific "T23" image that you can obtain from XC7 zipfile I think.

If all this seems too crazy to you, be patient, phones requires lot attention to details.

Thanks for your reply... I believe I tried that a while ago - with no success (never got the "reset sequesce detected"). I will try that again and see what happens...

Thanks!

Tim

Hi,

What do you see 'wiresharking' the port where is plugged the ip phone?

Regards,

-- adrián.

Does the phone need to detect the LAN for this to work? I plugged a power brick in while holding the # key and got the same thing as not pressing the # key. Doesn't ever indicate "configuring IP, Configuring VLAN", etc...

As indicated by above, when phones do not react to the reset sequence, you need to connect wireshark and see which tftp server the phone sis trying to access, then "spoof" it with a PC and the necessary files. Kind of tricky but the alternative is to bin the phones.

I will give that a try and reply with the details....

Thanks!

All I see is an ARP request coming from the phone - looking for the MAC address of 10.1.1.1.

I configured the CME router with this IP address and it doesn't appear to respond and the phone reboots.

Hi,

Other phones in the same IP segment register successfully to your CME?

How is your network set up?

Regards.

The other phones are newer and have only ever been registered to CME. They all work fine.

The two phones that don't seem to work are older 1st generation 7960s that were used with CCM 3.3 and 4.0...

The ports are set up as trunk ports (dot1q)and the voice vlan is set and native vlan as default (1).

Interestingly, a PC works through the phone as expected when it's not rebooting...

Hi,

Try doing the method explained by Paolo, but instead of performing the 123456789*0# sequence, perform the following: 3491672850*#

Regards.

You can continue trying with the router, but a pc w/ tftpd32.exe can be more effective.

Configure it w/ ip 10.1.1.1, option 150 in the dhcp server, observe which tftp files are being requested (tftp server tab), should be os79xx.txt, write back once you're there.

The phone doesn't respond to holding down the # key at all - when powering up.

The only traffic from the phone, aside from CDP is from the source address of 255.255.255.255- arping for 10.1.1.1.

It doesn't appear to have an IP address and I am not sure why it is ARPing for 10.1.1.1...

The bcast source it's strange, but likely it's arping because it wants tftp to 10.1.1.1

Is there an unicast ip source within arp ?

Anyway, connect PC with thta address and tftpd32 as described above.

You should be able to see the tftp request coming once arp is replied. Things should be a little easier after that.

I had already set up my PC to be the 10.1.1.1 endpoint. It doesn't seem to reply to the phone with its MAC address...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: