cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dumb Port

Jason Caron
Level 1
Level 1

Is there anyway to configure a port on a 2960 as a dumb port?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

meballard
Level 1
Level 1

Define dumb port.

A port that will function like it is a dumb switch or hub. Not look at Vlans or anything just forward data.

Where do you want it to forward data to? You can setup multiple ports in a single vlan in access mode and they do what your are wanting it sounds like.

I would like to have data come in one port and forward out another to my router. I have a device with more than the allowed local vlans on a 2960. So I just want to pass the data from one port on the 2960 out to my router on another port and ignore the vlan tags on the traffic.

I don't think that's possible. Why can't you connect this device directly to the router? The router will need to be configured with all those Vlans, right ?

__

Edison.

The Router can handle all the VLANs but the 2960 can not. There is another side of the network that needs to be connected. Just wondering if I can pass the traffic across the 2960 without upgrading the switch.

I am fairly certain that the way you are thinking of doing it now is not possible.

There is one other option (short of replacing the 2960), add a switch that doesn't understand tags (just a basic unmanaged switch would do). The 2960, the router, and the other device with the high number of VLANs. The basic switch would ignore the VLAN tag, and forward frames based on the MAC address only without modifying the frame, leaving the VLAN tag intact.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: