cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade ios with ciscoworks

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to step through the process for the first time of IOS upgrade using cisco works.

I have a test router configured and manageable through CW and I ma trying to step through.

It seems that the first step is to go to the Cisco web site and get an image to push to the router, but when I select source as the cisco.com site, and put my cco credentials in, it will not take them. Cisco web site is reachable from Server

Also, is it as simple as steppng through the software management gui to upgeade the ios?

18 Replies 18

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Check your proxy settings within LMS to make sure it's properly configured. Of course, make sure you can login to Cisco.com manually. If you still have problems, get a sniffer trace of all HTTP traffic going to Cisco.com (or your proxy if you're using a proxy).

As for the rest of the upgrade, it's wizard-like. Once you pick the image, RME tests to make sure it can run on the device, you pick your flash partition, choose job attributes (like reload on completion), then schedule the job. RME does the rest in the background.

I found the proxy settings, but I shouldn't need proxy information. The CW server should be allowed out, unless I am missing something.

I know this is basic, but is the flash partitioned?

Sorry for these questions.

I didn't realize that, I just thought it was an open flat space.

Are there any guidelines there?

Also, maybe there is a document that explains what you can do with the flash cards that are removable?

The flash doesn't need to be partitioned, but it can be. When I spoke of choosing the partition, I also meant choosing the flash device. A device may have multiple flash disks (e.g. slot0:, slot1:, bootflash:, disk0:, etc.). You get to choose where you want to put the image. You should choose a device which has enough free space and will be available when the device reloads.

I'm not sure I follow your question about removable devices. they work like any other flash device. You can choose to put the image on a flash card or ATA flash disk.

Joe,

looking at the syslog, I find that there is no archive information.

I can only go back and look at the past 24 hours.

All devices are pointing to the CW server as a syslog server.

I changed the purge settings a while back to purge after 365 days. I can see past files with the name "purge" in the file, prior to me getting here, in the syslog directory and they have data.

The purge files after that are 0 file size, but they are also being deposited in the directory every 30 days as well.

Does the purge just remove the data from the active file and archive it in the syslog directory, or delete it for good?

What can I check to make sure syslog is configured correctly?

On the software component, when I try to go to cisco.com now I am getting an error message the I have "tried three times and this feature is no longe valid" or something like that can't remember it exactly.

Please start a new thread for the syslog.

As the the SWIM error, please get the exact error message so I can search for it in the code.

Thanks joe,

I will have to get try to get it tonight, but may be tomorrow.

New thread for syslog.

Joe,

Today, I am getting no error messages going to the cisco.com, don't know what happened there. Is it possible after the three tries it locked the application for some abount of time?

But anyway, regarding the upgrade process in RME and doing analysis, when selecting cisco.com, does RME goe to the site and via SNMP on the device determine what the possible upgrade images are?

Is it ok to select every device to run the report on?

When doing the analysis, some devices are showing "no images found" and some are showing an image older that what is currently in the device, why the older image?

Joe,

Today, I am getting no error messages going to the cisco.com, don't know what happened there. Is it possible after the three tries it locked the application for some abount of time?

But anyway, regarding the upgrade process in RME and doing analysis, when selecting cisco.com, does RME goe to the site and via SNMP on the device determine what the possible upgrade images are?

When doing the analysis, some devices are showing "no images found" and some are showing an image older that what is currently in the device, why the older image?

Joe,

RME uses the inventory data it has already collected to get the type of device, hardware attributes, and the image running on it. Using that information, it gets a list of viable upgrades from Cisco.com. You can select as many devices as you want. The more devices selected, the longer the report will take.

The report may not be complete if there is missing or incomplete inventory data for a device, you have restricted only certain images under RME > Admin > Software Mgmt > Edit/View Preferences, or if there are no suitable upgrades on Cisco.com (or because of a bug). As for recommending an older image, it depends again on your SWIM settings as well as the inventory data RME collected from the device. There could also be a bug in RME's image matching code or on the Cisco.com side.

Thanks again joe,

"include images new" was not selected.

But, should they all be selected?

I have a fear of upgrading the image and suddenly things don't work.

The image selection is so confusing in Cisco equipment.

Can I be sure that what is seleceted will be compatable with the current config?

How do I make sure the data collection is accurate?

Selecting all devices for an UPGRADE would be a very bad thing to do. Selecting all devices for an UPGRADE ANALYSIS is fine. You should only upgrade a number of devices which you can properly test (and possibly back out) during your maintenance window. These devices should be grouped in such a way that potential downtime will not impact other devices being upgraded.

RME only does basic requirements analysis. Feature analysis and bug scrubbing is left up to the end user.

To verify the accuracy of the inventory, run a Detailed Device Report, and make sure it agrees with the hardware actually installed on the device.

By "selecting all" I was referring to "recommendation" under "view/edit preferences".

Once I have a list of images from the analysis to upgrade to, is there a wizard that will allow me to download the images from that list?

If you have the Include Cisco.com images for image recommendation box checked, then when you go to deploy images, it will automatically recommend Cisco.com images without you needing to download them to your repository first.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: