Views
Helpful
Replies

test environment

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have some switch I want to configure. Can I connect them via a small switch just for testing purpose using the

fast ethernet interface as they are all going to use the SFP ports for final connection. I just want to test them first.

Also, can I stack the one that are stackable and connect via the small switch using the fast Ethernet ports? Since there are only going to be just one vlan on all the switches, do I need to configure for trunk after configuring etherchannel or just use switchport access?

Also can i do etherchannel via the small switch to the stackables?

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

Could you please specify what switch series you are using and topology details?

I agree with Oscar that it would be very helpful to know what kind of switches we are talking about. And we need to know what kind of testing you want to do.

If the testing is just to assure that the switches will boot, that the various interfaces will become active when something is connected, and to verify that they will perform layer 2 forwarding, then connecting them to a small switch should allow you to do that testing.

But if you want to test Etherchannel then we would need to know whether the small switch supports Etherchannel. The original post mentions stacking switches. I think we need to be careful about terminology here. To some people putting one switch physically on top of another and providing an Ethernet connection is stacking. If that is what you mean then you should be able to test this well enough. But to some people stacking means to create a stack group, so that all switches can be managed as a single entity, and to provide some enhanced forwarding capabilities. I do not think that you can test this through an Ethernet connection between switches.

So please explain more about what switches you have and about what you really want to test, and then perhaps we can have better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ade,

It is not very clear for me how you want to connect the small switch and the stackable switches. This is why I can't give you a specific answer.

Generally speaking, yes, you can connect the small switch to the stackable switches via the fastethernet ports.

In general, you can configure an etherchannel on access ports and you don't need to configure a trunk if you have only 1 vlan throughout the network.

And you can configure an etherchannel from the small switch to the stackables.

Please give us the switch types and the interface types/numbers where you want to connect them together.

As to myself, I will be able to help you with Cisco switches only.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card