cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS Question

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I have never configured RADIUS or managed it, but I have done complete rollouts of TACACS.

I know its a loaded question, but how different are the 2 with regard to management, architecture and resources? Client is using RADIUS for aaa on the network devices for management, not remote dial access.

Im asking this question because it takes about 1 minute for me to get authenticated when I telnet to a router. After that, the authorization is quick and the router responds immediately after entering a command.

[EDIT] By the way, all the other network devices I have tried logging onto respond quickly, the problem seems to be located to one L3 switch -- a 6509.

[EDIT 2} I was wrong. The device I thought was authenticating me quickly had the aaa commands removed. I was using local authentication. So, the problem IS network wide.

When I do a sh radius stats, I see:

Auth. Acct. Both

Number of Radius timeouts: 8 112 120

Packets without responses: 1 14 15

Counters are incrementing. What is this telling me?

Thanks

Victor

1 Reply 1

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Use this Document : Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service is a distributed client/server system that secures networks against unauthorized access.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk547/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: