cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Interface Method

visco.....
Level 1
Level 1

When doing an "sh ip int brief", it shows the interface "Method". Is there a way to change this, from "manual" to "NVRAM". I understand that this gets reset to "NVRAM" after a reload...but I dont want to reload a 6513. Problem is, the interface has to be "shut" and "no shut" manually when it is set to "manual" which is kind of a pain.

Any ideas? Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sam

Maybe I do not understand your question or maybe I do not understand what significance you believe there is about what the method shows when you do show ip interface brief. The method is an informational item that says where (or how) the interface got its address.

I am pretty sure that the only way to get the method to show NVRAM is to have the interface configured with an address and then to reload.

But what does this have to do with manually shut and no shut on an interface?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. I dont know why this particular interface does this...but this is whats happening. We have 4 - 10GB interfaces. 3 of them are showing NVRAM, and 1 is set to manual (under Method). If the link goes down (Layer 1 - unplugged) on any of the 3 set to NVRAM, then the link comes back up, the interface comes up automatically. On the 1 interface that is set to "manual", the link goes down (Layer 1 - unplugged) on this interface...the only way to bring it back up is to do a shut - no shut. Maybe there is some other setting that is causing this, I just thought "manual" may have meant it will have to manually be brought back up, considering whats happening here.

So you are saying that there is no other significance to the "Method", other than how the interface was last brought up?

Thanks.

I would check to see why the one interface went down , if it went down due to a err-disabled condition then you will indeed have to do a shut then a no shut to bring up the interface which is a normal behavior for the switch.

Sam

Yes I am saying that there is no other significance to the "Method", other than how the interface was last brought up.

If that interface is showing a different behavior then there must be something else about that interface. I believe that the suggestion from Glen is a good place to start. Perhaps it would help if you post the output of show interface and the configuration of that interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

We had to physically move the fiber from one location to the other. Thats why the link went down. We had to do this twice, and both times we had to do a shut - no shut to bring the interface back up. I guess I am just missing something that happened to this particular interface.

sh int t9/3

TenGigabitEthernet9/3 is up, line protocol is up (connected)

Hardware is C6k 10000Mb 802.3

Description:

Internet address is x.x.x.x

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 10Gb/s

input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 106000 bits/sec, 59 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

L2 Switched: ucast: 5895 pkt, 717516 bytes - mcast: 730542 pkt, 65794251 bytes

L3 in Switched: ucast: 5857101 pkt, 1345988520 bytes - mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes mcast

L3 out Switched: ucast: 1353327 pkt, 686246284 bytes mcast: 0 pkt, 0 bytes

7205443 packets input, 1473116890 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 1302039 broadcasts (724701 IP multicasts)

0 runts, 13 giants, 0 throttles

40329 input errors, 40306 CRC, 4955 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

2177638 packets output, 770132429 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 11 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 PAUSE output

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

sh run int t9/3

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet9/3

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no ip proxy-arp

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip route-cache flow

glbp 3 ip x.x.x.x

glbp 3 priority 254

glbp 3 preempt

end

I am facing problem while watching this tutorial link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1B2FhOoK_A

He did not clarify the config of router , how to use "no switchport" etc I have tried my best but can not ping from PCs but have successfully ping from edge router to ISP router 

if you could help me I will be very pleased

Thanks 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card