Views
Helpful
Replies

How to access voice mail from outside?

amiralisetoudeh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a UC500 in the office and some users need to access their voice mail from outside the office.

Is there an application that needs to be embedded into the autoattendant script for this?

I'm not sure how it's done...

Thanks in advance for any replies.

4 Replies 4

okuehn
Level 1
Level 1

if you dial in your voicemail routepoint from outside, you can press * during the autoattendant answer. now you can select your DID and login using your PIN

if you have configured an alternate extension in unity, e.g. for your cellular phone, and unity can match this number dialing in, you were asked for entering your PIN.

hope this helps! if so, please rate.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I should have probably tossed in a few details.

They have analog lines coming into the UC500, and not DIDs.

I actually tried testing hitting * when I heard the AutoAttendant but it says "I'm sorry please try again" or something similar.

I know that I cannot download/modify/copy the aa.aef script that I'm using - but that's the only choice I have for now because everything is already configured on that script (through the GUI).

Hi Amir,

You can have either a separate (dedicated) PSTN number for this specific purpose (which is routed to the voice mail pilot number), or these calls can use your main business number (and therefore terminate on the AA).

This is probably your best option;

**If you choose to terminate calls at the AA, you must redirect calls to voice mail via the AA menu by dialing the voice mail pilot number as an extension.

If a subscriber wants to call in to check voice mail from any off-net location (such as home or a cell phone) and to be presented only with the PIN login menu (and not the User ID followed by PIN login menu), then Cisco Unity Express must recognize the caller ID delivered with the PSTN call and be able to map that to a mailbox on the system. This call flow requires the following:

•The PSTN must deliver caller ID to your location.

•You must associate a secondary number (the PSTN phone number) with the mailbox in addition to the extension.

You can associate a secondary number with a Cisco Unity Express mailbox by setting the Primary E.164 Number field in the user's profile to this number

From this excellent CUE doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/design/design21/cuevmdes.html#wp1008337

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob.

I actually found a much easier way to do it.

Call main number.

Dial extension by number at AA prompt.

(No answer, you hear voicemail greeting)

At this point, hit *, and it will prompt for user ID which is going to be the extension.

Enter PIN.

You're in.

No reconfig necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: