Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check the hostname, mac address, firmware version

ssweehin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know how to check the hostname, mac address, firmware version, product ID from cisco router? What is the command that can be used to check all of the required items that mentioned above.

If I issue the "show running-configuration" command, will it affect the network that managed by the router?

I am the beginner for administrating the network. Please help. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI, [Pls Rate if HELPS],

Check >> Firmware Version

"sh version"

The output like(sample):

==========================

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(12), REL

EASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Check >> Host Name

"sh version"

The output like(sample):

===========================

NY-cisco-3800 uptime is 3 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes

Check >> Mac Address / SN / PID

"sh inventory"

Hope i am Informative.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks.

If I issue the "show running-configuration" command, will it affect the network that managed by the router?

Swee, If you put the "show running-configuration" it will show the current configuration of your router. That never affect the network. Thanks, Goutam.

I suspect you are concerned whether packets will still be routed while the configuration is being displayed. Yes, the router will still perform whatever tasks have been specified in the configuration while the contents of the file are being displayed.

Likewise, you may have concerns over whether displaying the router's configuration will adversely effect upon the router's performance. While it can be argued that the act of displaying will consume processor cycles while could be used elsewhere, the effect on performance is so close to zero that it can be effectively considered to be zero. Displaying the contents of the router's configuration will not effect performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco