switch acce van 10

channel-gr 10 mode on

Switch A

Created vlan 10

ip addres 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

Switch B

Created vlan 10

ip addres 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

but as soon as I connect the cables into the Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 on both switch it comes up and then goes down and stops working so I cannot ping 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2.

What am I doing wrong?

These are Cat 2960.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

melwongpl
Level 1
Level 1

Etherchannel cannot be created across different switches unless you use Catalyst 3750 X-stack. Across different ports on the same stack of switches.

Thanks

These are Cat2960s and not different switches. Ok, maybe I have to use a cross over cable as they are switch to switch

What i meant different switches are different physical switches irregardless of models.

Yes you can use cross cable to create VLAN trunk or L3 links.

But if you want to use etherchannel across different physical switch, it cannot be done unless you use Catalyst 3750 X-stack.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are using straight thru cables and letting mdix correct the pinouts then you "cannot" hardcode the speed and duplex on the ports , they must be left as auto for this to work.

joeevans
Level 1
Level 1

YOu will need to use cross over cables unless you can alter the MDI-MDIX settings. You should also fix the speed/duplex to 100/full on all ports.

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ade,

1. The best is to use crossover cables.

2. Please look at the speed and duplex settings of the ports in question with the "show interface fa0/1" and "show interface fa0/2" commands on both switches.

If they are not the same, then issue the "speed 100" and "duplex full" commands in interface config mode on both ports on both switches.

3. Did you configure the port-channel on both switches with the same commands?

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card