CCIE equivalence to engeneer

Unanswered Question
Mar 20th, 2008
User Badges:

please i want to know if a CCIE can be look like an engeneer in data network

if you are employe in an enterprise , can you look as a engeneer who come from an school engeneering ?

what is the big difference.

if there is some difference, please with a CCNP , can you enter in a school engeneering in data network ? if this possible , what school for instance , in USA. thank very much

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Danilo Dy Thu, 03/20/2008 - 06:14
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more


A person who operates a machine (or computer) is not an engineer. They are called operator, but in IT they invented many name for them. A person who build a machine or computer (not assemble them) is an engineer.

There was this definition of "Engineer" in my old textbook in school. It starts...

"An engineer uses the forces and materials of nature to benefit humankind"

More after that but I can't remember them anymore :) its a one page definition, what I mentioned above is the first sentence only which I like the most.



tperrier Fri, 03/21/2008 - 02:35
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

No, the CCIE isn't equivalent to an engineering degree, and the objective of these two types of training are very different. I don't think you'll be admitted in any school just because you have a professional certification like CCNP or CCIE. Schools are interested in your academic background.

Now for an enterprise, having a CCIE _could_ make you eligible for a job where they're looking for an engineer, _if you already have solid experience_. But you'd better focus on academic degrees before professional certifications.

jim_berlow Fri, 03/21/2008 - 16:27
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

As tperrier points out a CCIE is not recognized by Universities in the USA for admission. Universities care about your previous academic achievements and other things. Nearly all USA universities have websites, go to the university's website that you are interested in and look at the admission process to find out more about what is required.

I also have to say that there is huge opposition in the USA to call a CCIE an "engineer". Most states have strict requirements on who can be called an engineer. Engineers are typically people who have at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited school and have passed their state's licensing exams (ie. the "Professional Engineer" or PE Exam).

Please don't refer to network administrator's as engineers. It is not appropriate and is considered by many as an insult to those who have followed the legal requirements to be named as an engineer. For one thing, notice that the CCIE stands for Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert (the term "engineer" is not there for a reason).



This Discussion