cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 series, due for replacement?

steve.pearse
Level 1
Level 1

I have been warned that before we buy several 4500 to enquire about the 4500 being due for replacement as it is now old.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

We have looked into this as well as we are looking to replace some of our rather old 4006 switches.

Cisco have not EoS/EoL notices on the 4500's other than the ones in this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/prod_eol_notices_list.html

With the introduction of the 4500E chassis and SupVI it does look as though this switch has some life left in it yet but there are no guarantees unfortunately.

As for age, well the 6500 has been around a while as well but no one seems to think that is going to be replaced any time soon.

HTH

Jon

As Jon indicated there's no EoS/EoL for the "legacy" 4500 series chassis but I suspect that the notices are right around the corner. However, unless it's cost prohibitive I wouldn't buy into the legacy product line. Same goes with the 3[67]50 and the 3[67]50-E series switches. New hotness is where i'ts at :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: