cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to police bandwidth on multiple virtual circuits across a LES Cct.

russ
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a point-to-point LES-type link between Coventry and London. They are looking to provision multiple “virtual circuits” over this, for different customers and they want to be able to allocate specific bandwidths for each. They've got a Packetshaper, which ought to do this, I think, but they “don't like it” (I'm trying to find out why). Anyone have any thoughts on other ways of achieving this - perhaps using IOS features (MPLS? Traffic Shaping?).

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

How are the virtual circuits going to be defined, ie are they going to use 802.1q vlans to separate different customers traffic. If so you could use policing/shaping on the 802.1q subinterfaces if on a router or the vlan interfaces if on a L3 switch.

Jon

That's all open to design - obviously dot1q seems to be the easiest (only?) way to split the customers. I've been doing some digging about and I found somewhere that, with IOS, it's not possible to use VLAN as the means for identifying traffic streams for QoS purposes…?

Russell

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you have a link to the doc ?

You would not use the vlan as such, you would use the interface eg. we have a 7200 router running 802.1q on a link to our Service Provider. So each vlan has it's own subinterface on our 7200 and it is there that we apply traffic-shaping etc.

Perhaps i am not understanding your setup ?

Jon

Hi Jon

Okay I think I've got the picture. I was thinking of using a switch which doesn't use sub-interfaces, rather than a router

I assume in your setup, the SP tunnels the 802.1q vlans.

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: