Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Desktop over TCP port 3389

kareem.afifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Hub and Spoke setup with 3 remote locations. All using Point to point 3MB bonded T1's. We have help desk personal that go to these remote sites maybe once or twice a week for support. When they get to the site they usually remote desktop back to thier PC's at the hub location.

I monitor network traffic with Fluke Report analyzer and notice that when they do this they are using up a lot of bandwidth. My bandwidth will spike close to 90-100 utilization and a 90% of that is from the RTD user and protocal TCP 3389.

Can someone explain why RTD uses up so much Bandwidth and is there something I can have these guys do locally to reduce the bandwidth? Of course when they RTD to thier main machines they are pulling info from our main File Server at the HUB so they are pulling data accross the wire.

Thanks,

Kareem

2 Replies 2

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

RTD (or RealTimeData) is between a PC (or client) and a File Server (or RTD server). Unless the remote site PC is accessing the File Server directly, I can say that there is RTD across the WAN. But from what you have mentioned, it looks like the remote site PC connects to a local PC using Remote Desktop and initiate connection from that local PC to File Server, so RTD should be between the local PC and File Server (not between the remote PC and local PC or File Server).

I'm not sure if RTD is initiated for this...while the remote PC is connected to local PC, the user at remote PC initiates a SCREENSHOT to save to remote PC an image of the doc the user currently viewing in the local PC. When the user "paste" what it SCREENSHOT from the local PC to the remote PC, it usually eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Try using VNC Viewer (Ultra VNC) instead, this uses less bandwidth.

Regards,

Dandy

Thanks Dandy.

Kareem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card