Using wireshark for sniffing wlc 5.x HOW?

Answered Question
Mar 20th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi,

release notes for wlc software 5.x state that it is possible to use a sniffer AP and wireshark to capture radia data. Setting up the AP is described but how do i setup the wireshark workstation to retrieve the traffic? Is there something like a daemon mode where wireshark listens on port xy for incomming packages from the AP or ...

So can someone lighten me?

regards Martin

Correct Answer by sabhasin about 9 years 2 months ago

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
sabhasin Fri, 03/21/2008 - 11:23
User Badges:

Martin - yes, indeed that's possible. However, the fine print is that it's a specially built wireshark version that understands the custom packet format which is used to encapsulate LWAPP between WLC and Wireshark machine. Please open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to get this special build for you. Hope that helps.

jozefburak Thu, 07/31/2008 - 10:45
User Badges:

Hi Martin, do you have already contact TAC engineer for this wireshark edition? Could you share it? I have the same problem.

Thanks

Jozef

m.hierling Thu, 07/31/2008 - 21:27
User Badges:

Yes, but they send me a patched windows version. cant work with that because i have no Windows sniffer at my monitor ports.

anyway, i have deleted the software, sorry.

Martin

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode